Senior education program

The University of Minnesota provides senior citizens with opportunities in higher education. The Senior Citizen Education Program (SCEP) is part of a Minnesota state statute that applies to all state-supported institutions of higher education in Minnesota. Minnesota residents who are aged 62 or older may enroll in courses at the University for reduced costs, either to audit or earn college credit.


To receive SCEP reduced tuition benefits, you must be a Minnesota resident aged 62 or older before the start of the term for which you are registering. You may be eligible at age 60 if you have a railroad retirement annuity.

At your initial registration for classes, you will need to provide identification to verify your age, Minnesota residency, and (if applicable) railroad retirement annuity. This documentation can be scanned and emailed to [email protected]. The following is a list of some acceptable documents:

  • Minnesota driver’s license
  • Minnesota state ID
  • Minnesota tribal identification card
  • Birth certificate (verifies age only)
  • Passport (verifies age only)


If you meet the residency and age requirements of the SCEP, you may audit courses free of charge, or take classes for credit at $10 per credit. This applies whether you are degree-seeking, or non-degree. Whether you audit or earn credits for a class, you are responsible to pay any required laboratory, material, or course fees. Fees vary by course.

Please note that if you are enrolled into SCEP, you will be ineligible for the Student Health Benefit Plan. If you have questions, please contact the Office of Student Health Benefits.

Admissions and registration

As a senior citizen, you can take classes as a degree-seeking or non-degree-seeking student. Contact Admissions for information about applying as a degree-seeking student. If you would like to take classes as a non-degree-seeking student, follow the steps to take a class as a non-degree student.

Open and closed classes

Find out if a class is open or closed via the online Class Search. If a class is open, you can sign up without any instructor or department permission during the first week of the term. If a class is closed, you will need a class permission number from the instructor or department that offers the class. Some classes have restrictions on who is allowed to take the class.


Courses sometimes have prerequisites, or prereqs, that you have to complete before you can register for them. Prerequisites apply to any and all University students, including senior citizens.

If, for example, you want to register for ARTS 3300, Intermediate Sculpture, you have to have taken the prereq, ARTS 1001, Introduction to Contemporary Art and Theory. Some courses allow exceptions, but be aware that prereqs can prevent your registration for a class.

Cancel your enrollment

You can receive a 100% refund if you cancel a class during the first three weeks of the term. After the first three weeks of the term, no refunds are issued. Use MyU to cancel or drop the class online.