Preferred name

Add a preferred name to your student record through MyU: My Info if you want the University to use your preferred name in communications and reporting whenever available. University systems using preferred name require at least 24 hours to update changes. Your preferred name will appear to parents and/or guests if you grant them access to information on your student record. Your primary/legal name may also appear.

Your primary/legal name is the default the University uses if no preferred name is submitted. Note that it is not possible to choose which systems from the lists below use preferred name and which use primary/legal name.

How to set a preferred name

Text instructions

  1. Log into MyU and select the My Info tab.
  2. Select the Edit button next to your name. The name in this example is “University Student.”
  3. Click the Add a New Name button in the pop-up box.
  4. Select the name type you would like to set.
  5. Enter the name as you would like it to appear. You may also change the date it takes effect.
  6. Click the Save button. You will see your preferred name within MyU.

Visual guide

To open the guide in a new window, use the full-screen version.


University systems that use your preferred name

  • Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports
  • Advising rosters
  • Campus directory (unless you have chosen to make your information private)
  • Canvas
  • Class rosters
  • Dean's List
  • Enrollment certifications (can print with preferred or primary/legal name)
  • Honors program
  • Library software
  • Major and minor lists
  • Moodle (must be submitted via MyU before your instructor generates the class information)
  • MyU
  • Parent/Guest access (both preferred and primary/legal name appear to parents/guests in this system)
  • Probation lists
  • U Card
  • Zoom

University systems that use your primary/legal name

  • Billing and payment documents
  • Financial aid documents
  • International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
  • Tax documents including 1098-T
  • Transcripts (official and unofficial)
  • Enrollment verification, which includes the classes you've enrolled in and your GPA
  • Student employment and payroll documents
  • Study abroad, study away, and international student documents