Federal tuition assistance

The Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA) program provides tuition assistance for voluntary off-duty education programs for active duty, National Guard, and Reserve Component service members. FTA is available for courses that are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program.

Each service branch has its own criteria for eligibility, obligated service, application process, and restrictions. This money is paid directly to the institution by the individual services. Contact your unit’s Education Service Office (ESO) to determine your eligibility and what steps you need to take to apply.

Steps to use FTA

  1. Confirm with your ESO that you are authorized to take courses at your chosen institution.
  2. Apply for Federal Tuition Assistance utilizing your branch-specific process.
  3. Complete the Veterans Enrollment Form indicating which benefits you plan to use for the year.