Reciprocity programs

The University has reciprocity agreements with the states of Wisconsin, North Dakota, and the province of Manitoba, Canada.

If you are a resident of any of these states or province, you may qualify for reciprocity tuition rates, which are lower than non-resident tuition rates and, in some cases, comparable to resident rates.

Some exceptions are:

  • If you are participating in off-campus study or study abroad for an academic year or more, you must re-apply for reciprocity.
  • If summer session is your first registration at the University, you need to reapply for the next academic year.

Tuition reciprocity is not automatic. You must apply for reciprocity prior to the term in which you plan to register. You need to apply for reciprocity through the higher education office in your state or province. For information and application forms, check with your home state's reciprocity office below:

You will receive an approval letter from your home state when your reciprocity application has been approved. The University is notified by your home state when your reciprocity agreement has been approved. However, if your billing statement does not reflect your reciprocity tuition, bring your approval letter to a One Stop Student Services Center.

After your first year, provided that you have earned credits on campus, your reciprocity automatically renews. Delays in your reciprocity eligibility will not exempt you from additional billing charges.

South Dakota

The South Dakota Board of Regents ended the prior reciprocity agreement between Minnesota and South Dakota. The University of Minnesota is committed to honoring the reciprocity rates for current students and new students starting in fall 2024 and spring 2025. 

Continuing students will pay the equivalent of Minnesota resident tuition rates until they complete their degree so long as they make continuous degree progress. 

Students starting in fall 2024 and spring 2025 will pay the equivalent of Minnesota resident tuition rates for the following timeframes so long as they make continuous degree progress for the program they were initially admitted to:

  • Incoming freshman: 4 years
  • Incoming transfer students: 3 years

Receiving this rate is not automatic. New students must complete a South Dakota Tuition Application for this special South Dakota rate. If approved, the tuition rate will be applied to your student account for the time period listed above.