Before you complete your degree and graduate, you’ll need to be prepared. Knowing what your degree requirements are and if you are fulfilling them, when to apply to graduate, and talking to your advisor will help you prepare for the final steps of your academic experience at the University of Minnesota.
Prepare to graduate
- Check graduation dates and deadlines on the Academic calendar.
- Find your graduation information in MyU: Academics > Degree Progress.
- Verify your degree information and requirements.
- Check your APAS report to verify your degree requirements. Speak to your advisor about any remaining requirements you may need to complete your degree. This could include transfer credits.
- Generate your APAS degree audit to review your degree progress. Make a plan with your advisor to complete your degree requirements.
- Select Open All to see your requirements and your progress
- Sections with a green “check mark” are complete.
- Sections with a red “X” are not complete.
- Sections with blue “...” are in progress.
- Check that all credit and grades appear correctly on your APAS degree audit and note if you are missing any earned credit or grades.
- Transfer credits may include earned college credit, test credit (AP, CLEP, DSST, IB), or study abroad credits.
- You will be invited to apply to graduate once you complete 90 credits.
- Check for holds.
- Talk to your advisor(s) about completing your degree.
Apply to graduate
- Set your degree name by updating your personal information.
- Add, verify, or update your diploma address to make sure you receive your diploma.
- Apply to graduate (see step-by-step instructions below).
- If you have completed at least 90 credits, you are eligible to apply for graduation, and the link will appear in MyU: Academics.
- You must apply to graduate before the deadline each term. If you miss the deadline or your plans change after you apply to graduate, you will not be able to update your expected graduation term online and will need to contact the Office of the Registrar with your name, student ID number, and updated term of graduation.
- Complete your financial aid requirements.
- Online exit counseling is required of all borrowers of federal and University-administered student loan programs. You will be provided information about the rights and responsibilities of a borrower, and how different financial aid programs handle repayment.
How to apply to graduate
- Log into MyU and select the Academics tab.
- Select the Degree Progress sub-tab.
- Click the Apply to Graduate link at the bottom of the page.
- Select the Apply for Graduation link.
- Complete this step for each degree program if you have more than one.
- Choose your Expected Graduation Term from the drop-down menu.
- Read the graduation instructions, and then click Continue.
- Verify the information is correct, and then click Submit Application.
- View the confirmation screen.
- Go to the My Info tab in MyU and check that your name and address are correct for your diploma.
- Your primary name and home address will be used unless you enter a different degree name and diploma address.
To open the guide in a new window, use the full-screen version.
Commencement and after
Commencement is your graduation ceremony. These events are planned by the Office of Conferences and Special Events. Visit the UMM Commencement page for additional information.
- Attend your campus graduation fair.
- Watch for an invitation to your campus graduation fair in spring. You can find additional information about and purchase commencement regalia through the University Bookstore.
- Complete your loan exit counseling and learn about loan repayment.
- Learn about your diploma.