Full-time credits

The University determines your enrollment status based on how many credits you take each semester. Your enrollment can have impacts to your student status, your financial aid, veteran benefits, and other aspects of your academic career.

For degree-seeking undergraduates: 

  • Full-time is 12 or more credits
  • Part-time is 9 to 11 credits
  • Half-time is 6 to 8 credits
  • Less than half-time is 1 to 5 credits

Veteran benefits credit requirements

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) defines full-time status differently than the University of Minnesota. The University determines your enrollment status based on how many credits you take each semester. However, your VA benefits will vary based on your program, the number of credits you take, and the start and end dates of your classes. The VA looks at how many credits you are enrolled in on a given day rather than how many credits you take over the course of a semester. 

For questions about enrollment and veteran benefits, contact One Stop.

Expand all

GI Bill® requirements

To receive the maximum benefit, you must be registered full-time according to the University of Minnesota definition. The VA will only pay for the courses you are taking. This means if you take 12 credits and do not request a flat rate tuition exemption you’ll be required to pay the difference of that credit.

If you enroll less than half-time, your education benefit rates will be reduced proportionately and paid as a lump sum. You would receive reimbursement of the actual charges for tuition and fees or the established maximum, whichever is less. After you’ve been certified with UMN, call the VA education helpline to see what your exact payment will be in this circumstance. The VA’s number is 1-888-442-455.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.

Chapter 33 requirements

If you are enrolled:

  • More than half-time, you will receive prorated monthly payments (e.g., 7-11 undergraduate or 4-5 graduate credits). Your monthly checks will be based on the prorated monthly rate of payment. For Chapter 33, your tuition payments will remain at your level of eligibility.
  • Half-time or less, you will not be eligible to receive the Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH).
  • As distance learning only, you will receive half of the national average for the BAH. You must be taking at least one in-person course to receive the full BAH amounts.

Summer enrollment

The University of Minnesota does not have one standard summer term. If you plan to take classes during the May or summer terms your full-time status may be different than you expect. Your benefits will vary based on your program, the number of credits you take, and the length of your classes. 

For summer or May term classes it can be difficult to determine if you are full-time or not. Please contact One Stop for help.

Financial aid eligibility

Most types of financial aid require that you enroll in a minimum number of credits to receive the aid.

Maintain active status

You must maintain continuous enrollment (i.e. register for classes) every fall and spring term. This is called maintaining “active” status. However, if you do not register for classes for 2 consecutive terms (with the exception of summer), your student status will be discontinued, or moved to “inactive” status. If you do not register for two or more consecutive semesters and at a later date wish to resume your studies at the University, you will have to apply for readmission.

If you need to take time off, a leave of absence may be appropriate. Speak with your advisor to determine what may be right for you.