Home > Personal information > Preferred name

Preferred name

Add a preferred name to your student record through MyU: My Info (see step-by-step instructions) if you want the University to use your preferred name in communications and reporting whenever available. University systems using preferred name require at least 24 hours to update changes. Your preferred name will appear to parents and/or guests if you grant them access to information on your student record. Your primary/legal name may also appear. 

Your primary/legal name is the default the University uses if no preferred name is submitted. Note that it is not possible to choose which systems from the lists below use preferred name and which use primary/legal name.

University systems that utilize preferred name

  • Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) reports
  • Advising rosters
  • Campus directory (unless you have chosen to make your information private)
  • Canvas
  • Class rosters
  • Dean's List
  • Enrollment certifications (can print with preferred or primary/legal name)
  • Honors program
  • Library software
  • Major and minor lists
  • Moodle (must be submitted via MyU before your instructor generates the class information)
  • MyU
  • Parent/Guest access (both preferred and primary/legal name appear to parents/guests in this system)
  • Probation lists
  • U Card
  • Zoom

University systems that utilize primary/legal name

  • Billing and payment documents
  • Financial aid documents
  • International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS)
  • Tax documents
  • Transcripts (official and unofficial)
  • Student employment and payroll documents
  • Study abroad, study away, and international student documents

Related Resources

Important Dates