Home > Personal information > Update your information

Update your information

Update personal information

Your primary/legal name is the default the University of Minnesota uses in communications and reporting. You may set a preferred name in the My Info tab of MyU (step-by-step instructions). See the preferred name page for more information, including a list of systems that utilize preferred name.

Complete the Name Change Request form and return it, along with the required documentation, to the listed address. Reminder: you may update your preferred name in MyU: My Info (see step-by-step instructions) at any time for University directories, class rosters, and grade rosters.

Minnesota law requires all students born after December 31, 1956, who enroll in a Minnesota college or university to be immunized against certain diseases. See the Health Services Immunization for information on how to update your record.

If you are a US citizen or permanent resident (green card), you are considered a Minnesota resident if:

  • You have lived in Minnesota for at least one calendar year prior to the first day of your class attendance, and
  • Your primary reason for being in Minnesota is not to attend school.

Having a history out of the state, including transfer coursework, graduation from a non-Minnesota high school, and out-of-state work experience, may result in you receiving an initial classification of nonresident.

Add your pronouns and/or gender identity to your student record through MyU: My Info (see step by step instructions). More information on how the University community can access your pronouns and gender identity is available. 

To update your gender in our student information system, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

You may choose to waive the University-sponsored Student Health Benefit Plan by providing proof of enrollment in an alternative eligible health plan to the Office of Student Health Benefits.

Your primary/legal name is the default used for University systems. You may set a different first or middle name and address for your diploma in MyU: My Info.

Other personal information updates include citizenship status, driver’s license number, ethnicity, marital status, and veteran status. For guidance on how to update this information, contact One Stop Student Services.

Update contact information

Make sure you keep your address updated as soon as you become aware of any changes. You may change your address or add an additional address on the My Info tab of MyU (step-by-step instructions).

You may change your phone number or add an additional phone number on the My Info tab of MyU (step-by-step instructions).

The University’s official means of communication with you is your University-assigned email account. You are responsible for all information sent to this account year-round. You have the option of providing an additional email address on the My Info tab of MyU (step-by-step instructions).

Emergency contact information is required and should be kept up-to-date. You may change your emergency contact information on the My Info tab of MyU (step-by-step instructions).

Your information in the University directory

The University has an online, public directory at search.umn.edu that lists information of students, instructors, and staff. Some of your student information is a matter of public record, so it appears in the public search by default.

What the public search displays

  • Name (preferred)
  • Internet ID
  • Email
  • University affiliation (e.g. student or staff)
  • College/department
  • Home phone number
  • Home campus
  • Home address
  • Enrollment (term, year)
  • Registration campus

When does your information become public?

Your student information first appears in the public search when you register for classes for the first time AND it is within 30 days of the start of term. You can make changes to your listing before it goes live or at any time throughout your academic career.

Make your information private

Make all or some of your information private by going to the My Info tab of MyU (step-by-step instructions). Changes take effect up to 24 hours from the time you make an update. For immediate assistance contact help@umn.edu or call 612-301-4357.

There are five levels of directory suppression from which to choose:

  1. Suppress ONLY my phone numbers.
  2. Suppress ONLY my addresses.
  3. Suppress BOTH my phone numbers and my addresses.
  4. Suppress my phone numbers, my address, my email (“directory suppression”).
  5. Suppress ALL information about me (“full suppression”).

Student records policies

Changing your directory suppression level does not hide your information from University staff that need your information such as your advisor. If you also work at the University, your employment information will not be suppressed.

University policy and the federal Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) regulate the sharing of information and student records privacy at the University.

Related Resources

Important Dates