Home > Finances > Study abroad and off-campus learning

Study abroad and off-campus learning

Most types of financial aid may be used for study abroad or off-campus learning opportunities, including grants, scholarships, and student loans. However, National Scholarship and reciprocity waivers do not apply to study abroad programs.

You must apply to the Study Abroad program and submit a cost estimate to the financial aid office to be considered for financial aid for study abroad.

  • To receive federal, state, or institutional aid for study abroad, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to Morris-use federal school code 002389. If you have already submitted a FAFSA for the same academic year in which you intend to study abroad, you do not need complete another one.
  • Apply to a Study Abroad program through Morris’s Academic Center for Enrichment, the English Language Teaching Assistant Program (ELTAP), or the Global Student Teaching (GST) program.
  • Working with your study abroad adviser;
  • calculate a cost estimate for the program to which you have applied; and
  • submit the cost estimate to the Financial Aid Office at least two months before you leave the country.
  • Schedule an appointment with a financial aid officer to discuss your financial aid needs or to resolve any outstanding issues that could impact your eligibility and delivery of your financial aid. If your financial aid eligibility changes, the Financial Aid Office will send you a revised electronic financial aid award notice (eFAAN) via your University email account.
  • Work with the Business Office to make arrangements to receive your credit balance. It is recommended that you set up direct deposit for your credit balance. If you choose to receive a paper credit balance check, make certain your mailing address is accurate and current with the University. Credit balance checks are never forwarded or mailed to international destinations or outside agencies.

Related Resources

Important Dates