Home > Academics > Senior Citizen Education Program

Senior Citizen Education Program

The University of Minnesota provides senior citizens with opportunities in higher education. The Senior Citizen Education Program (SCEP) is part of a Minnesota state statute that applies to all state-supported institutions of higher education in Minnesota. Minnesota residents who are aged 62 or older may enroll in courses at the University for reduced costs, either to audit or earn college credit.


To receive SCEP reduced tuition benefits, you must be a Minnesota resident aged 62 or older before the start of the term for which you are registering. You may be eligible at age 60 if you have a railroad retirement annuity.

At your initial registration for classes, you will need to provide identification to verify your age, Minnesota residency, and (if applicable) railroad retirement annuity. Some acceptable documents include:

  • Minnesota driver’s license
  • Minnesota state ID
  • Minnesota tribal identification card
  • Birth certificate (verifies age only)
  • Passport (verifies age only)


If you meet the residency and age requirements of the SCEP, you may audit courses free of charge, or take classes for credit at $10 per credit. This applies whether you are degree-seeking, or non-degree. Whether you audit or earn credits for a class, you are responsible to pay any required laboratory, material, or course fees. Fees vary by course.

Admissions and registration

You can take classes as degree-seeking or non-degree seeking as a senior citizen. Visit the Senior Citizen Education Program information to find out how to apply and register.

Open and closed classes

Find out if a class is open or closed via the online Class Search. If a class is open, you can sign up without any instructor or department permission during the first week of the term. If a class is closed, you will need a permission number from the instructor or department that offers the class. Some classes have restrictions on who is allowed to take the class.


Courses sometimes have prerequisites, or prereqs, that you have to complete before you can register for them. Prerequisites apply to any and all University students, including senior citizens.

If, for example, you want to register for ARTS 3300, Intermediate Sculpture, you have to have taken the prereq, ARTS 1001, Introduction to Contemporary Art and Theory. Some courses allow exceptions, but be aware that prereqs can prevent your registration for a class.

Cancel your enrollment

You can receive a 100% refund if you cancel a class during the first three weeks of the term. After the first three weeks of the term, no refunds are issued. Cancel or drop the class online, in MyU.

Important Dates


Mon, Mar 25, 2019 First day of instruction (2nd-half semester classes)
Fri, May 10, 2019 Last day of instruction (full and 2nd-half semester classes)
Sat, May 11, 2019 Study day


Mon, Mar 25, 2019 First day of instruction (2nd-half semester classes)
Wed, Mar 27, 2019 Summer registration begins
Fri, Mar 29, 2019 Last day to add classes without instructor permission (2nd-half semester classes)