Home > Academics > Multi-institutional status

Multi-institutional status

If you want to take a class at another University of Minnesota campus other than your home campus, you are considered a “multi-institutional” student. You can attend another campus for a single term during an academic year without losing your academic status, and without jeopardizing your eligibility for financial aid on your home campus. 

If you are a multi-institutional student, you fall into one of two categories:

  1. You are registered on two campuses for a single term. For example, you are registered on your home campus, but want to take a distance learning course from another University of Minnesota campus.
  2. You are registered at another University campus instead of your home campus. For example, you want to take courses not offered on your home campus for a single term.

If you would like to apply to be an multi-institutional student and take classes on another University campus, complete the Application to Register at Multiple University of Minnesota Campuses form.

Related Resources

Important Dates


Wed, Aug 29, 2018 First day of instruction (full and 1st-half semester classes)
Fri, Oct 19, 2018 Last day of instruction (1st-half semester classes)
Wed, Oct 24, 2018 First day of instruction (2nd-half semester classes)