University of Minnesota Morris
Home » One Stop Student Services » Undocumented Students

Undocumented Students

Though federal and most state financial aid is not offered to undocumented students, there may be private scholarships and loans to help you pay for college. The University of Minnesota, Morris financial aid administrators are aware of and sensitive to the needs of undocumented students and will try to assist you as best as they can.


Morris offers in-state tuition to all students regardless of citizenship or state of residence.

State and Federal Grants

State and federal grants are awarded only to U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens. To qualify, you must be a U.S. citizen, U.S. national or an eligible non-citizen. You are an eligible non-citizen if you:

  • are a U.S. permanent resident with an Alien Registration Card (I-551);
  • are a conditional permanent resident with an I-551C card; or
  • have an Arrival Departure Record (I-94) from the Department of Homeland Security with any of the following designations: refugee, asylum granted, parole, or Cuban-Haitian entrant, a victim of human trafficking or a holder of T-Visa.

Student Loans

Federal student loans, such as the Federal Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans are not available to undocumented students. Minnesota Office of Higher Education offers a loan program called the SELF Loan Program, which is available to citizens and non-citizens. There are Alternative Loan Programs that undocumented students can research for loan options. With the SELF or Alternative Loan Programs, you must have a credit-worthy cosigner who is a U.S. citizen.


Several organizations maintain online lists of scholarships. Here is a partial list of scholarships, both national and based in Minnesota, for which undocumented students would be eligible:

For more information, visit Minnesota Office of Higher Education.