University of Minnesota Morris
Home » One Stop Student Services » How to Apply For Financial Aid

How to Apply For Financial Aid

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is the only application needed to receive federal, state, or institutional financial aid at the University of Minnesota, Morris.

Every student should complete this application, regardless of their family’s financial status. FAFSA information determines the amount each student is eligible to receive from a broad range of financial aid, including federal and state grants, federally-subsidized student work-study, and/or loans. Even if FAFSA results do not demonstrate financial need, everybody qualifies for some form of financial aid.

  1. Complete the FAFSA online;
  2. Make sure it is signed electronically with your FSA ID;
  3. Click the “Submit” button; and
  4. Print/Save the confirmation page for your records.

School code 002389

Include the code for the University of Minnesota, Morris on your FAFSA. Results will be sent here automatically.

Priority deadlines, every year

Apply as soon after January 1 as possible for each academic year.

  • Priority deadline for incoming freshmen: March 1
    • This is the deadline to ensure that new, incoming freshmen receive an estimated award prior to the May 1 enrollment confirmation deadline.
  • Priority deadline for returning students: April 15

If you submit your FAFSA by these priority deadlines, you increase the likelihood that you will receive grants and/or scholarships that do not have to be repaid.

May/Summer Session(s) Students »

May, Summer I, and Summer II sessions are treated as one term for financial aid purposes. Your financial aid is determined on your total enrollment for all three sessions.

To be eligible for 2015 May/Summer Session(s) financial aid you must:

  • be admitted as a University of Minnesota, Morris degree seeking student as of spring semester 2015 (aid is not available if you are a non-admitted, non-degree, summer only or visiting student);
  • maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as defined by Morris SAP Standards. If you are on SAP probation for spring semester you will not receive your summer financial aid disbursement(s) until all your spring semester grades are posted and your SAP status has been reviewed for eligibility;
  • submit a completed  May/Summer Session(s) Financial Aid Application to One Stop Student Services no later than June 12, 2015; and
  • respond to your May/Summer offer of financial aid and complete all required loan documents no later than June 22, 2015.

Withdrawal or cancellation of a class may result in an overpayment and you may be required to pay back a portion of your financial aid.

Study Abroad Students »

You must apply to the Study Abroad program and submit a cost estimate to the financial aid office to be considered for financial aid for study abroad.

  1. To receive federal, state, or institutional aid for study abroad, submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to Morris-use federal school code 002389. If you have already submitted a FAFSA for the same academic year in which you intend to study abroad, you do not need complete another one.
  2. Apply to a Study Abroad program through Morris’s Academic Center for Enrichment, the English Language Teaching Assistant Program (ELTAP), or the Global Student Teaching (GST) program.
  3. Working with your study abroad adviser;
    • calculate a cost estimate for the program to which you have applied; and
    • submit the cost estimate to the Financial Aid Office at least two months before you leave the country.
  4. Schedule an appointment with a financial aid officer to discuss your financial aid needs or to resolve any outstanding issues that could impact your eligibility and delivery of your financial aid. If your financial aid eligibility changes, the Financial Aid Office will send you a revised electronic financial aid award notice (eFAAN) via your University e-mail account.
  5. Work with the Business Office to make arrangements to receive your credit balance. It is recommended that you set up direct deposit for your credit balance. If you choose to receive a paper credit balance check, make certain your mailing address is accurate and current with the University. Credit balance checks are never forwarded or mailed to international destinations or outside agencies.